Beginning in the Casa (preschool) level and beyond, students meet with the Music Specialist where they are introduced gradually to music theory and expression. In grade 4 students begin exploring different musical instruments and, later, are integrated into the school band. Additionally, vocal skills are honed and refined through learning and performing choral music.
The BHMS passion for music and performance is evidenced through annual concerts that bring together students of all ages, as well as the staging of some popular musicals, complete with set design, costuming, and theatrics, all developed by the students. Some recent productions have included Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The King and I, and Annie.
At the end of the program, students have:
- Achieved basic instrumental skills on a variety of instruments including soprano recorder, alto recorder, flute, clarinet, trumpet and trombone.
- Learned choral singing skills and the essentials of vocal ensemble performance.
- Achieved intermediate level of solo and ensemble instrumental performance on one wind instrument.
- Learned the fundamentals of mounting a Broadway-style production, including set design, lighting, sound, costumes, drama, singing and dance.
- Learned the Level 1 Rudiments of Music Theory according to the Royal Conservatory of Music standards.